Sunday, March 1, 2015

The 6-day Merry-Go-Round

Anna has had a very eventful 6 days. We've had to go to hospital on 5 of the last 6 days. He is, of course, tired and to some extent, wondering what the fuss is all about.

24 February :: Diapers can cause blisters, not just rash!

Tuesday was just another regular day. Till, I dropped in after my walk, to be told by Anna's attendant that Anna has blisters in the groin area. I ask Anna if there is pain (Anna has a low resistance to pain), and he says no.  But the attendant describes big blisters and off we go to the hospital. Blisters are incised, drained and dressed.

25 February :: Review & dressing of blisters

Just another trip to review how the blisters are healing.

Anna quips " The doctor is very efficient", as Anna is met and treated immediately.

When we tell the Doctor, he smiles back a response, "In this state it's easy to fool him", referring to Anna's dementia.

From hortidaily.com
We also get some advise on Anna's chronic constipation - make him eat more papaya everyday. When I tell Anna, he retorts, "I am eating so much papaya that we should buy half an acre of land and grow papayas."

27 February :: More than blisters are being drained

My early morning coffee date with Anna is suspended.  Anna has serious loose motions. Anna can't understand why. "I am only eating at home", "Constipation is a bigger issue", "I am eating very healthy food", etc. So, off we go to the doctor.

When I tell Anna that he is eating a lot of roughage, he recalls something he used to say when in Bangalore - "Anyone who sees the amount of green vegetables we buy will think we have a pet goat in the house".

28 February :: Now I am getting drained

In the afternoon, I get a panicked call, telling me that Anna has fallen.  When I get to the house there is blood everywhere. Anna had decided to get out of bed to get the phone (till now he does not remember why he wanted the phone).  He felt dizzy and fell.  Off to the hospital we go again! Anna gets 6 stitches (for the first time in his life).

And he is still cracking one-liners. Like when I tell him that he is being taken into the OT for stitches, and that he will be given local anesthesia.  He responds with "Why? No imported anesthesia?"

From The Telegraph
1 March :: To the Hospital, we return...

5:30 am panic call tells me that Anna has serious double vision. I rush there to find Anna OK. After having a cup of coffee with him, he says he wants to sit on the sofa.  I settle him in, and ask, "Anna, if you are sleepy, I can take you back to your bedroom". Anna wants to sit on the sofa and nap.

His parting shot? "I will sleep here. I slept before coffee. I am partly sleeping now. All tenses are covered".

I didn't have the heart to chat on tenses.

I just know that his spirits are doing better than mine!  

No comments:

Post a Comment